Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Aspen Park

 Aspen Park is a small park in Soldotna, Alaska. It can be found by turning onto Aspen Drive from either Marydale Drive or Knight Drive, about halfway down the street. There is parking for 3 cars on the tiny parking pad, and more along the curb.


















From the start, let me just say that this park is not as tot friendly as the City of Soldotna might lead you to believe on their website. Sure, there are some fun features like the chain link spider web, but I had to help my nearly 3 year old son over the top. This is a park for active children and active parents. For this visit, I only had the youngest of my children with me and nearly every feature required me to aid my small children. It is one of the reasons that I don't come to this park as much. I think the last time I was here my oldest 2 sons were around the same ages and they spent most of the time under the wood structures in "their fort".

The tires are a fun feature. My son enjoyed climbing through and walking on them. I think my older children would have loved the tire swing.

 Big step down, not so bad coming the other way. No way I would let her or him attempt this alone.


 Though the spaces and gaps are large, it didn't slow them down too much. At least the platforms are flat planks, not round. There are two slides at Aspen park - one tall twisty slide and one hexagonal super short slide. Both require climbing up rungs that are spaced just a little too far apart for toddlers.


















 She couldn't get up. It was too far between, which is okay for her age. I recommended this playground for children a little more physically coordinated and taller in stature, like age 3 and up.

The nicest part of the park is the trail that connects it to the dog park. Its not far away, but meanders through the woods in a loop. There are 2 benches at the dog park, which the Soroptomist society is currently working on. Along the trail there are square picnic tables and trash cans. There are a total of 6 picnic tables throughout the park and at least as many trash cans. There are also a few benches facing the play ground and some trails leading off to neighborhoods. Be mindful of private property at the edges of the park. Its fairly well defined and most neighbors have it posted clearly.

No comments:

Post a Comment