Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Bayview Park

Bayview Park sits at the top of Bayview Avenue in Homer, Alaska, just east of the hospital. It is a tiny neighborhood park, but boasts plenty of fun for a family whether it is wet or sunny outside. The park has one picnic table right next to the playground equipment.
Bayview boasts 3 slides, which were all tested and approved for play by my toddler. He was very thorough.

Bayview also has some large rocks and boulders for a game of "lava" or "crocodiles". Almost as good as a genuine "Log".

Parking for Bayview Park is up behind the park. There you will find a port-a-potty. Parking is limited to 2 or 3 vehicles and additional parking is probably available along the surrounding streets.
There are two swings at this park. It was enough for us for the day. It is a very small park, after all, and I am sure is normally only used by locals. Two swings is fair.

I love the yellow plastic and wood structure, but I felt like there were a lot of very large gaps between components. I didn't let my small toddler climb on this structure alone for fear of her putting a leg in to the gaps.
 My research group, hard at work.
 
Perhaps the funnest feature of this park is the tiny valley running along the upper side. There are two little plank bridges over what I am sure can be a creek during rainy weather. My children were happy pretending it was a moat and running up and down between the hills. It is a fun way to keep the natural landscape of the park. Thanks, Homer, for not being generic and homogenized.


Two "bridges"
I found this picket fence park charming. It was easy and fun, open, but small enough for me to sit back to relax and comfortably keep an eye on children spread out over the park. Be mindful that there are houses and streets surrounding every side of the park, so children should not be allowed to wander nor should they be allowed to be excessively noisy if you happen to go to the park late in the evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment